Agartala: Former Tripura Chief Minister and CPI(M) leader Manik Sarkar wants the state Election Department to protect voter rights. He demands no eligible citizen gets dropped from the rolls during the upcoming Special Intensive Revision. The process starts on September 5, 2026.
Sarkar insists that officials must keep names of past voters on the list. He also wants authorities to add every resident who just hit the legal voting age. "The voters who had been able to cast their votes in the previous elections shouldn't have their names deleted from the electoral rolls," Sarkar said.
The veteran politician voiced concerns regarding vulnerable groups. He claimed similar revisions in Bihar and West Bengal created obstacles for Scheduled Castes, minority communities, and the poor. He told Tripura officials to act independently and ignore political pressure.
Sarkar identified married women as a specific group needing careful attention. When these women move to their husband's home, their polling stations and registration details shift. He wants the department to handle these moves with precision. He also asked political parties and workers to stay cautious throughout the revision effort.
Photo Courtesy: tripuratimes

Comments