Security Forces Allegedly Fire Pellet Guns at Naga Protesters in Kanglatongbi; Multiple Civilians Injured, Woman Unconscious

Imphal: Several Naga civilians were injured on Thursday after security personnel moved to disperse a gathering at Kanglatongbi in Manipur, where protesters had assembled to demand justice for six Naga men whose remains were recovered following their disappearance earlier this year.

NEWire's field team at Kanglatongbi reviewed video footage from the scene and photographs taken after the confrontation. The material shows several injured protesters receiving medical treatment, including individuals with multiple wounds across the back, shoulders and upper body.

The circumstances surrounding the injuries, including the allegation that pellet guns were used, could not be independently established by NEWire at the time of publication. Witnesses at the site, however, alleged that security personnel used pellet-type projectiles while attempting to disperse the protesters.

The protest was organised under the banner “Justice for 6 Slain Naga Brothers” by the Native Peoples' Committee, Manipur, and the Joint Tribe Council, Manipur, with participating organisations including LNC-EZ, JCC, MACCA and KRLWU, under the aegis of the United Naga Council.

The gathering began at around 10 a.m. near Namdilong Gate, according to organisers and people present at the site.

Injuries reported

Among those injured was a woman whose relatives identified her as the wife of one of the six men whose deaths are being protested. Video and photographs reviewed by NEWire show the woman lying on a hospital gurney and receiving medical attention.

People accompanying her told NEWire that she had sustained injuries around the ears and was experiencing difficulty hearing following the confrontation. The extent and permanence of any hearing impairment could not be independently confirmed at the time of publication.

NEWire also reviewed photographs and video showing at least two male protesters with multiple wounds on their backs, shoulders, arms and upper bodies.

One of the injured men was photographed receiving emergency dressing for wounds on his back and shoulder. Another was shown with injuries to his arms and upper body.

Relatives and people accompanying the injured told NEWire that some of the victims were experiencing difficulty moving their arms after the incident. NEWire could not independently determine the medical cause or long-term prognosis of those injuries.

A third injured person was photographed receiving treatment for wounds on the lower back and torso.

The photographs reviewed by NEWire are consistent with significant physical injuries, but photographs alone cannot establish whether particular wounds were caused by pellets, other projectiles, physical impact or another mechanism. Medical records or a formal medical assessment would be required to establish the precise cause.

What happened at the protest

Witnesses told NEWire that the gathering was initially peaceful before security personnel moved towards the protesters.

Video footage reviewed by NEWire shows a substantial deployment of security personnel equipped with riot-control gear, including helmets and shields, in the vicinity of the gathering.

The footage also shows confrontation between security personnel and members of the crowd as the security presence moved to disperse the gathering.

The exact sequence of events leading to individual injuries remains to be independently established.

NEWire has not independently determined whether the force used by security personnel was proportionate to the situation or whether established crowd-control procedures were followed.

Security forces yet to respond

NEWire contacted the Manipur Police and the Assam Rifles seeking their response to the allegations of pellet-gun use, the reported injuries and the circumstances in which force was used to disperse the gathering.

No official response had been received at the time this report was published.

Any response from the authorities will be incorporated into this report when received.

Protesters demand accountability

The protesters were demanding action in connection with the deaths of six Naga men whose remains were recovered after they had gone missing.

The gathering also reflected demands for accountability over the circumstances surrounding Thursday's injuries.

Community representatives at the site told NEWire that they intended to continue pursuing the matter through civil-society and governmental channels.

The situation in and around Kanglatongbi remained tense following the confrontation, with an increased security presence reported in the area.

NEWire field note

This report is based on observations and material available to NEWire from the field, including eyewitness accounts, photographs and video footage, as well as information provided by people accompanying the injured.

NEWire has distinguished between what was directly visible in the available material, what witnesses and relatives reported, and what remains to be independently established.

The allegations concerning the use of pellet guns and the circumstances in which individual injuries occurred remain subject to confirmation. NEWire has sought responses from the relevant security authorities and will update the report as further verified information becomes available.

Report filed from Kanglatongbi/Sekmai.

Graphic images accompanying this report document injuries sustained by civilians. Viewer discretion is advised.

Disclaimer: The views and facts expressed here are solely those of the independent citizen journalist, researcher, and others, who assumes full responsibility for the content's accuracy and legality. Any third-party media (images, videos, or audio) used belongs to its respective owners and is shared strictly for reporting, criticism, or review under the "Fair Dealing" provisions of Section 52 of the Copyright Act, 1957 (India). NEWire.in does not claim ownership over such material and reserves the right to review, moderate, or remove content at its sole discretion upon receiving valid legal concerns or grievances.

Comments
Please login to comment.
W Taringambou Lawrence • 20 Aug 2026 • Edited

When will this end in Manipur? How long must peaceful protesters face tear gas, pellets and force for simply raising their voices? A democracy should listen to its people not silence them through force. We are just asking for justice and accountability.

(1)