Imphal: Manipur BJP MLA L Susindro Meitei renewed his threat to abandon the party on Friday, August 14. He warned he will walk if the state government ignores public interests. He currently has no immediate plans to resign. But the pressure is mounting.
Meitei spoke to reporters in Imphal East district during a Har Ghar Tiranga event in his Khurai constituency. He claimed his voters want him to avoid a BJP ticket in the upcoming Assembly election. They want him to run as an independent or join another party. "The BJP is good, but there exist problems concerning those who are leading the party in the state," Meitei said.
The legislator previously held a post as the minister for consumer affairs, food and public distribution under former Chief Minister N Biren Singh. He has been vocal about his frustration since the state government returned to power following the end of President's Rule on February 4. He labeled the current government's performance unsatisfactory on July 26. He noted the state's performance graph dropped significantly since the new administration took over.
The state remains locked in a violent cycle. Ethnic clashes between Meiteis and Kukis have raged since May 2023. These conflicts killed at least 260 people and displaced thousands. President's Rule was previously imposed on February 13, 2025, after Biren Singh resigned. Meitei maintains his primary focus is his constituents. He says he intends to prioritize their needs above party loyalty.
Photo Courtesy: India Today Group

Comments